This was a recipe that I got off the back of a toy rolling pin set for Ivy. It was quite easy, they looked cute and were yummy, so I thought I would share!
You will need:
- 300g (2 cups) plain flour
- 150g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 250g softened butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 60g softened butter
- 90g (bit more than 1/2 cup) icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- a few drops vanilla essence
- strawberry or raspberry jam
What you do…
- Beat butter and sugar together.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla essence and beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the flour and salt, mix everything together to form a smooth dough.
- Mould the dough into a ball, wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for 30mins and preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Roll the dough to half cm thick. Cut out 6cm round circles (a crinkly cutter or a scone cutter).
- Put circles on a baking paper lined tray. Cut out little hearts from the centre of half of the biscuits (I used a little 2.5cm heart cutter, these are handy for lots of decorating!).
- Bake for 12mins or until golden and leave them to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter until smooth, gradually add the icing sugar , water and vanilla essence. Spread over the biscuits without the heart.
- Put a little spoonful of jam on the top of the icing where the hearts will go and put the heart biscuits on top.